Research and Teaching Blog
24 Posts with tag: tsm435
In TSM 435 we will be doing microprojects as homework assignments. Typically these projects will involve defining a design task, identifying the righ integrated circuit to build the design, and developing or adapting available circuit diagrams. The idea behind the project is to become comfortable with looking for interesting integrated circuit components and looking through data sheets to use them. The following is a template for your design reports. The total length should be no more than a couple pages ...Tags: tsm435
To build a Farenheit to centigrade converter using operational amplifiers
The figure below shows a 3 op amp design to do the opposite conversion. It is possible to construct a F to C system with only one op amp, (and there are two different ways of doing it). Can you do it?
A 10mV/C input is converted to a 10mV/F outputTags: courses , tsm435
- To learn how to use the function generator
- To investigate the frequency response of high- and low- pass RC filter circuits
- To compare experimentally observed responses with theoretically calculated ones
Cutoff frequency for high pass filter:
Cutoff frequency for low pass filter:
Table 1: High Pass Filter: Theoretical calculation
Solve the following problems
Homework is due Friday 10/04/2013
- Find the capacitive reactance (Xc) or capacitance (C) in each of the following cases i) f=100 Hz C= 150 μF ii) C=2.2 F f= 60Hz iii) Xc = 15.92 Ω f= 50 Hz iv) Xc = 60 Ω f= 60 Hz
- C1=10μF C2=10F C3= 100pF Calculate the total capacitance in series and parallel.
- Calculate voltage drops as well across each circuit element. Figures 1 and 2 ...
Homework due Friday 9/20. Please complete the following Eagle CAD tutorial.
Introduction to Eagle CAD.
It is your responsibility to 1) Download and install Eagle CAD. It works on every operating system. The student version is free to download and is more than sufficient for the purpose of this class. Please watch the following five videos. The best way to learn is to watch the videos and to replicate the steps in the video. You will see some components ...Tags: courses , tsm435
Eagle CAD is a powerful piece of software for anyone interested in electronics as a hobby or professionally. It features a beautiful schematic drawing engine and solid automated layout and PCB design modules. It can also, in conjunction with the POVRay raytracing program, produce 3d rendered images of finished boards as well.
We will be using Eagle to draw our schematics for this class for our lab assignments. It will be installed on the computers in 248, but feel free ...Tags: courses , tsm435
Draw circuit diagrams for each problem. Show all calculations.
Homework is due Friday 9/3/2010
- Calculate the current flowing through a 450 ohm resistor connected across a 9V power supply.
- Calculate the voltage drop across a 22k resistor passing a 4 mA current.
- What resistance would you need to limit the current from a 5V supply to 15 mA?
- If you had 3 resistors, R1= 500, R2 = 1500, R3= 470 connected in series, what would the equivalent resistance be ...
Agenda for today's lecture:
- Overview of the class
- Basic definitions
- What is electricity?
- What is a voltage / current / resistance?
- What are DAQs?
- Role of math in electronics
- Electronics as a hobby
- Semester project
- Programming Please feel free to chime in with your comments in the section below.
Steps required to install the LabJackPython module:
- Open a command prompt (Click on Start > Run and type cmd in the box. Should open a DOS window)
- Change directory to the folder where you have your LabJackPython files extracted (e.g. 'cd \Downloads\LabJackPython\)
- type the command 'python setup.py install' in the folder where the ...
Here is a program to find the value of a resistor based on its color coding.Tags: miscellaneous , programming , tsm435
Build the circuit as shown in the figure (You drew this circuit in Eagle CAD Lab 3). Make it work and try to figure out how it works. For your lab report, write a description on how the circuit works in your own words. Use a VCC of 5-10 volts. Use the BC337 in place of 2N2222A. Watch out for capacitor polarity if you are using an electrolytic.Tags: courses , tsm435
- To learn how to connect different transistors as switching and amplifier circuits
- To measure voltage drops across the transistor circuits and to ensure Kirchoff's laws still apply
Observations1. Plot a graph of Vout vs Vin for the amplifier circuit
2. Maximum allowable collector current for both circuits are:
3. Minimum resistance necessary to ensure diode safety for the applied voltage is:
4: Obtain the specifications sheet for the transistor and note down max ... Tags: courses , tsm435
Instructions for lab writeup:All lab reports are to be typed. All sketches, tables and graphs are to be made using software (i.e. not by hand). Each report is due one week from doing the lab. The outline for the first lab report is as follows:
- To understand how to use the prototyping board (breadboard), power supply and multimeter
- To assemble a simple circuit consisting of resistors in series and parallel configurations
- To verify Ohm's Law for ...
Problem: Reverse a user-input string and write it to a file
Solution: In Python, there are a number of ways to reverse a string. The most direct method involves reading the characters in reverse and performing a concatenation on them. By far the most elegant way to do it is:
The reversed() function does not do the trick, as it is meant to work on things like iterators.
Writing the result to a file should involve the ...Tags: courses , python , tsm435
Here's a link to a comprehensive list of operational amplifier circuit from National Instruments. It includes both measurement and signal generation circuits.
Here's another one from Texas instruments for some of the basic circuits built in single supply configurations.Tags: courses , tsm435
Biasing the transistor for proper operation is somewhat tricky. You never want to rely on the transistor beta for reliable performance. Following is an idea for biasing the transistor so that when the signal coming in at Vin is close to ground, the output is at the middle of the full voltage range (10V for 0-20 range).
The following rules apply:
- When Vin = 0, the 110k and 10k resistors form a voltage divider, such that the voltage at the base ...
Study abroad programs give students the opportunity to experience the life in another country, thus broadening their perspective on their own professional careers and personal lives. More and more, employers are looking for this international experience in their recruits. I encourage you to take a look at the flyer, and please get in touch with your adviser or Ms. Boone for more information.Tags: courses , tsm435
- To learn how to connect different diodes in an appropriate manner
- To measure voltage drops across diodes and to ensure Kirchoff's voltage law still applies
- To learn how a diode bridge works with the help of LEDs
- To become familiar with an oscilloscope
Observations1. Voltage drop across the LED is:
2. Maximum allowable current is:
3. Minimum resistance necessary to ensure diode safety for the applied voltage is:
4. Observations of the diode ... Tags: courses , tsm435
Solve the following problemsHomework is due Monday 10/5/2009
Please find the cutoff frequencies for the following circuits and do the a.c. analysis just like you did for the lab
Figures 1 and 2 are series RC circuits and Figures 3 and 4 are parallel RC circuits .
Tags: courses , Instrumentation , tsm435
Please provide a few thoughts on your trip to the plant biology greenhouse. Include a brief vision on what you'd like to see there, and how you may best contribute to it.Tags: courses , tsm435
Solve problems the following problems using using KVL and KCLHomework is due Friday 9/11/2009
1) Use the algebraic method to find values of currents flowing through each resistor for the circuit in Fig.1
2) Solve for values of current flowing through each resistor for the circuit of Fig.2
3) Find I1 in Fig.3
4) Find I2 in Fig.4 Tags: courses , tsm435
ObjectiveTo learn to use Eagle CAD for building schematics.
Your lab report will consist of two parts:
1) The .sch file (the schematic file) that you create in Eagle) and
2) the exported graphic (in PNG, BMP or JPEG format) embedded in a Word Document.
Both files to be submitted electronically to me as well as Goutam. Please replicate the following graphics. The logic symbol is an Exclusive OR .So search for XOR in the library
Open in a ... Tags: courses , tsm435
Instructions for lab writeup: All lab reports are to be typed. All sketches, tables and graphs are to be made using software (i.e. not by hand). Each report is due one week from doing the lab. The outline for the first lab report is as follows:
- To build a series-parallel circuit with resistors
- To build a voltage divider with resistors
- To validate Kirchoff's current and voltage laws
- To learn about different types of resistors
- To become familiar ...
Hello everyone. This Fall, we will be trying a new experiment. I will be using this blog as a teaching tool for TSM 435. We will be using this space to discuss topics related to all aspects of the course, including theory, components, homework etc. Students will be able to join the discussion using the comments section for each post so that everyone is on the same page.Tags: courses , tsm435